Monday 11 July 2011

LEJOG Day 79: Kinlochleven to Fort William

 Weather: Cloudy and warm
 Distance covered today: 24.0km (14.9mi)
 Last night's B&B: Edencoille Guesthouse (£50)
 Cumulative distance: 1607.2km (998.7mi)/ % Complete: 84.0%
 GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 79 (click!)

In the context of the timeframe of this entire journey, the West Highland Way seems to have flashed by!  In fact it did only take a week, but the time seems to have flown even faster, no doubt sped on its way by good company and collectively the best scenery of the journey so far. The Way was demanding in places, but less so than both the Pennine Way and Offa’s Dyke, though I do have to qualify this in that I am fitter and stronger. Undoubtedly, the quality of the path itself was the highest I have experienced anywhere in Britain, both on this journey and before. My only complaints are that there were too many people on the Way for my personal preference and the quality of and welcome by some of the B&Bs en route was perhaps a little below the standard I have come to appreciate elsewhere (with the notable exception of the current one here in Fort William, which is superb!). Here again, it is logical that if your establishment is running at 100% occupancy and you are worked off your feet, some of the nuances of customer care may be stretched a tad at the margin. Even with these reservations, which are anyway timing related, the overall experience has been just great. You may not be planning LEJOG because you are sane, but you do have to do the West Highland Way before you die! There just isn’t any excuse for not doing it!

The last stretch this morning started with a collective bolt out of Kinlochleven at about 08:45 – 09:00.  It seems B&Bs prefer not to serve breakfast much before 08:00, and 30 minutes later, there is this mass exodus from all the B&Bs in town, with dozens of Gore-Tex encased fugitives heading for the uphill slopes that characterise the way out of almost every village on every trail. For me breakfast this morning was a particularly interesting affair as I found myself sitting with a classics professor and a poet from Minnesota, Clara and Bob. They were gracious and interesting, and like so many people I have met on the Way, just a little bit different. I think that is what is so absorbing about meeting people on this journey. They are the kind of person who fully accepts that having a holiday can include making an effort in sometimes uncomfortable surroundings, because the reward is as much to do with what one puts into it as what one gets out of it. And if that sounds a little “holier than thou”, I apologise and admit that I appreciate a little bit of luxury as much as anyone!!

Clara and Bob were most interested that I had spent a year in the US, and we discussed it briefly. Later, while I was struggling up the hill outside Kinlochleven, I could hear first a booming base and then ultimately a full-scale, high volume cascade of trance music. Eventually I came upon a small encampment of young people, presumably stoned out of their minds, one of whom had rigged up huge speakers and an amplifier to a generator and who was dancing his trance at 10:00 in the morning in the middle of the Scottish Highlands at some unspeakable number of decibels. They waved cheerfully as I trudged past and it made me think of the first and most famous of all outdoor music festivals, Woodstock, which I so narrowly missed on my trip to the US, and which formed the backdrop to my young adulthood.

As a scholarship student in America, I had a certain artificial status which brought me in contact with the sort of person who might have eluded the average American. I still think that I just happened to be in America in one of the most significant years of the last century. It was the year Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy were assassinated. It was the year of the Chicago Convention with all the extraordinary protest that surrounded that event. It was the year when the tide finally turned against the Vietnam War and the youth of America started to resist the draft in droves. In this respect it actually resembles this year with a strange sort of resonance in relation to the war in Afghanistan. It had particular significance for me because the family I was staying with at the time was divided between the generations on the issue. The parents firmly believed in the “Domino Theory” which believed that unless the West held out against the Communist advance in Vietnam, all the other democracies of Asia would fall like dominoes and the Communist advance would threaten America’s liberty. The kids believed it was an unjust war; an act of unjustified aggression in a foreign country in support of an illegitimate, undemocratic and corrupt regime; that it was strategically flawed and much more important, wrong in principle. It tore families apart. Kids escaped to Canada to avoid the draft; many went as far as Scandinavia. It was the subject of every discussion in school. It was unavoidable. And of course there was a glaring and offensive racial divide between the GIs who actually wound up in Vietnam and those who managed to avoid it.

It was also of course the year in which Richard Nixon ran for president against the discredited Lyndon Johnson. Because of my extraordinary status, I was invited to have breakfast with Nixon and his wife, Pat on one of their campaigning trips to the mid-west. Many of my student colleagues urged me to resist the invitation, just as much as the older generation thought that of course I should accept, but inevitably, I did go and I learned a salutary lesson, which has stayed with me all my life.  I found Richard and Pat Nixon to be amongst the most charming people I had ever met. They were completely interested in my story, fascinated by my origins, and completely gracious in their handling of the entire encounter. They were both under the most enormous pressure, with a campaign schedule that must have been literally frightening, yet still they found time to be really interested in a nonentity. Later, when Nixon was embroiled In Watergate, I often thought back to that morning. Of course, I am not commenting on his character, use of expletives, or even his policies, but the thing I learned is that you don’t get to be the candidate for President of the US for one of the major parties without being an extraordinary and charismatic person. There are just too many people who have to be influenced in person. There is just too much at stake.

As the media tore him to pieces over Watergate, and as his original and unsuccessful campaign against Kennedy was endlessly replayed on TV, including his 5 o’clock shadow, I couldn’t match the figure of my memory to the figure in the news. I learned that the media creates its own version of people and the reality may be very different. Over the years, I thought about this as I watched the media savage many politicians including individuals as diverse as Jimmy Carter, Michael Foot, George Bush and Tony Blair. I have no idea what these people were like in reality because I don’t know them, but by vilifying them to the extent that they do, I think the media are not only responsible for impugning their character, but in the longer term, by creating a pervasive cynicism about politicians in general, they may well weaken the democratic institutions that these people represent, ultimately to the detriment of all of us.

And after that pompous assertion, perhaps I should get back to my very much more mundane objective of preparing to take on the next great challenge of my journey, the Great Glen Way, which tears across Scotland to Inverness and which starts tomorrow!

Climbing out of Kinlochleven. The pipe-race is just visible at the top left and Loch Leven is on the right

Purple heather amongst the granite

The familiar way-marks of the West Highland Way: a thistle in an octagon

Loch Leven making its shimmering way out to the sea

The trance encampment. The sound equipment is in the tent and the fellow on the right was dancing. The others were huddled around a fire in the cool morning air

I passed Mary and Eddie along the way.Eddie is a retired fireman from Glasgow. They were doing the WHW for charity, and suffering sore feet. I know the feeling!

Moss covered stones in a stream. The water up here is crystal clear. I(t looks good enough to drink, though I have repeatedly been warned not to do so!

I was back on the Military Road which continues to wend its way through the Lairigmor Pass on the way to Fort William

A deserted farmhouse along the way. The sheep pens next to it are still in use

Around every corner, more beauty in the great Lairigmor Pass

The cairn on the right tells a story! After the Campbells and Argylls were defeated by Lord Montrose and the MacDonalds at the Battle of Inverlochy near Fort william, they were pursued by the MacDonalds across the Lairigmor. Eventually the Macdonalds gave up the chase near this point. If you support the MacDonalds you are supposed to add a stone to the cairn and if you support the Capmbells, you are supposed to take one away 

A loch amongst the hills

The colours of camoflage on the hillside

And still more crystal waterfalls

Shamrocks (?) in the forest

The forest was gorgeously dark and cool,

with a bed of shamrocks (?) for a floor

And wonderfully moss-tinted trees amidst the grey 

And finally, a close-up view of Ben Nevis, but still unfortunately, shrouded in cloud

Fort William, my destination for the day and the end of the fabulous West Highland Way









13 comments:

Veronica said...

Shamrock? 'Tis a touch of the Irish in you, Kevin!! This is Wood Sorrel, sometimes referred to as Shamrock, but the more usual form of the Shamrock is the white flowering clover. I had fun investigating lots of clover types, recalling that white clover is implicated as a possible cause of 'Grass Sickness' in horses (a horrible disease), that you can eat wood sorrel, but it is sour (try a bit!), that the Four-leaved clover has it's own official name, and that there are loads of different clovers!! And those woods look dense enough to be so quiet that there's hardly any bird-song?

Chris R said...

Kevin,

Congratulations on reaching Fort William! Another major milestone, and another of the National Trails completed. You have earned your day of rest and recuperation... the scenery and the views look beautiful, and I hope that Ben Nevis was a suitable spectacle as you passed...

I promised that I would send you a piece of doggerel once you reached Fort William... well, here it is, but first, a bit of background...

In 1976, I joined HM Submarine Churchill for a few days at sea. I travelled from the Clyde Submarine Base with the Squadron Engineer Officer up to Kyle of Lochalsh, where we were to overnight and join the boat the following morning. It was a cold and snowy December late afternoon when we set off, we must have taken about 2½ hours to reach Fort William, and we needed a stop. Commander (E) knew his way around the town as a frequent visitor with his wife and daughters, and he drove unerringly to the public loos. "Ah, Chris", he said. "Do you have a five pence coin on you?" "Probably", said I, "but why do I need one?" "Well, it's five pence even for a leak. And I know from my womenfolk that the ladies is free." Of course, in those days, not so long after decimalisation, the five pence coin was the old shilling, and not the little ticky that we have now.

Well... talk about discrimination... and it got me thinking:

For nature's calls at William's Fort
It seems the ladies pay but nought,
Whereas the chaps who next door go
Are forced to pay five pence a throw.

Now of us all, there are not many
Who think it's right to charge a penny
To the ladies, for a pee,
When always men have had it free.

But now the story is reversed,
And some poor bloke who's fit to burst
Must first of all a shilling find
Before he's granted peace of mind.

One wonders if the canny Scot,
With kilt worn over who-knows-what,
Is ever tempted to revert
To calling kilts 'A Scotsman's skirt';

A sneaky trick,
But works for sure, an'
Keeps his loose change
In his sporran.

Whatever reason for the charge,
Which by most standards seems so large,
Next time I'm there, I'll bide a while,
And spend my pennies free in Kyle!

Poor old Robbie must be turning in his grave...

Enjoy your rest day before the Great Glen,

Chris

Kevin said...

Jannie commented as follows:
Hi Kev



Firstly, congratulations – can’t believe you’re nearly there!



Secondly, I totally agree re your point about Nixon. My modern hero is Charles Colson who, you may remember was a fall guy for the Nixon Watergate affair. He landed up in prison as a result. Through that whole experience he underwent a radical conversion and after his release he went back to prison in full time ministry. I love his devastatingly honest integrity in the way he describes things, and admire his sharp mind which penetrates to the heart of social issues. It was largely through him that my desire to be involved in prison ministry was fostered. He was a good friend of Nixon, and I admire the way he remained loyal to Nixon and in one of his books I seem to remember expressed similar concerns to yours re the vilification of Nixon at a time when he would have been much more critical of his political views.



Your descriptions of Scotland make me hark back to my Scottish roots – must follow in a few of your footsteps some time!



Love Jannie

Kevin said...

Veronica, I am more confused than ever! Surely a shamrock is a three leaved plant that looks like the one in the picture? You and Fiona are confusing Richard and me with all this botany! Clearly, I am much in need of an education!

Kevin said...

Chris,
An excellent piece of logic, and just in time too, since at Barbara's instruction and with your encouragement, I will shortly be writing about going to the loo!

Kevin said...

Oh, and Veronica, you are quite right, these woods were very quiet....

Veronica said...

Yes, but Kevin! This isn't a clover in your picture. The clover leaf does not have the marked central indentation of the leaf, shown in this picture. Quite the reverse. The clover leaf is almost pointed. Wood Sorrel (or Oxalis Acetosellar!)is a different plant, despite the loose similarity of the leaf. The flowers of Wood Sorrel and clover (red or white) are quite different, though white.

Veronica said...

Chris! So that's what you do at 4am when unable to sleep!!

Phyllis D. said...

Dear Kevin,
Hooray on your completion of the WHW! I raised a glass in your honour.

Beautiful photos again! I recognized your "lake in the trees" from our own trip on the Way; when we saw it in 2008 it was recently lumbered and looked barren, and it is gratifying the Mother Nature has "redecorated" with the fresh green.

I checked the Ben Nevis webcam yesterday, about the time I figured you would be nearing Fort William, and was sorry to see it was quite overcast. Our arrival in Fort William from the Way, three years ago, was under clear blue sky, and as we descended into town we joined a large group of other walkers, all gazing at a Sea King helicopter in the midst of a rescue mission on Nevis. It seems that, on these walks, there is something interesting around every corner.

Congratulations! We'll be watching your progress on the GGW.

Phyllis D.

Veronica said...

Shortly after leaving Fort William and on your way to Gairlochy today, you will pass your 1000 mile point in your Groot Trek. Congratulations! It's a very long way, Kev!

Grumpy Hobbit said...

Well done Kevin! Not only the WHT completed but you've almost reached that other big milestone - in fact as I write this you have already passed it - the big 1K miles. Amazing achievement. Many, many congratulations. The rest will be a stroll in the park.........?
Love Fiona

Kevin said...

Thanks Chris, Jannie and Fiona, for your congratulations! Believe me, although this is hard going, I'm enjoying every minute of it (well, almost every minute!). Thank you so much for your contributions. Thy make a huge difference!

Rob Hardy said...

It was a pleasure to meet you and to chat with you over breakfast in Kinlochleven. We enjoyed reading your reflections here. Best wishes for the completion of your incredible journey!