Sunday 24 April 2011

LEJOG Day16: North Tawton to Crediton

 Weather: Misty, then sunny with breeze
 Distance covered today: 21.3km (13.2 mi)
 Last night's B&B: Nichols Nymet House  (£57)
 % Complete: 16.0%
 GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 16 (click!)

Short post today!  Not a lot happened and anyway, there are those out there who think a more succinct Kevin would be easier to digest!  What is more, I am getting a little behind with booking B&Bs ahead. I’ve reached the bank holiday weekend at the end of May when I will be in Derbyshire, and everything is booked solid at anything like an affordable rate.  I’m going either to have to consider Youth Hostels or take the bus to a less salubrious part of the world to spend the night. Either way, much research on the internet is required and it takes time.  I drew a blank tonight, even with the patient help of Veronica on the other end of Skype, so I need to extend my office hours to actual walking time as well. I’m old enough still to be amazed that one can be wandering down the lanes of Devon while booking things in a county far away!

Today was Easter Sunday and it was strange to be away from home, with every member of the family in a different place; first time that has ever happened. And yet, in some ways we weren’t that far apart. Marion went to the Horse Trials at Badminton, and Veronica watched it all on TV. When I got in to tonight’s B&B, I was also able to tune in too while I looked for B&Bs on the web, so the three of us, all in different places were connected to the same event with mobiles and messages keeping us all in touch. I even got a good-night message from Anna in Singapore as she ended Easter Sunday a little ahead of us.

Talking of families, I must make a last comment on the wonderful reception I received last night at Nichols Nymet House. I mention in the last blog that I had been warmly welcomed into the family circle for dinner. When I tried to pay for it this morning, they refused. Opening myself up to the kindness of strangers after a professional and commercial life is a new experience for me.

Tonight I’m staying in the rather more ordinary town of Crediton, which according to many informants, especially in Okehampton, is rather looked down on by other residents of Devon.  After a brief walk through the town, I felt it had a certain turn-of-the-century (1900!) charm, and we certainly aren’t talking Liskeard!

Either way, I’ll be on my way early tomorrow without a backward glance.

Nichols Nymet House

Real organ pipes in the morning room. They hold concerts every few months with famous artists

The organs

The names in Devon are awesome!

More of peaceful, green Devon

Then, suddenly a change! Colour on the horizon....

Herding dairy cattle for the milking, 2012 style: a 4-wheel drive rather than a horse! I spoke to the farmer's daughter who had the grace to be a little embarrassed, but she insisted that it saved time and she very kindly got me some more drinking water!

The 4-wheeler herded the dairy cows all into one corner where this old boy was pawing the Earth lamenting that none of them was in need of his services.

My first sight of cricket. Clearly summer is upon us!

Wouldn't you just love to live in Black Dog?

A bluebell field alight in Creedy Park Woods




4 comments:

Jo said...

Hi Kevin, Jo here, with Scully - Ant's neighbour. Veronica passed me your link so I could follow your adventures and I have to say I'm hooked. You write brilliantly and I am with you every step. Am hoping to hack with V later this week - Scully & Ant survived the cement mixer monster last week so who knows what we'll come across this week! Stay safe. Keep writing. Best Jo x

Kevin said...

Hi Scully (and Jo),
See, I understand protocal! Scully, please tell Jo that I am delighted she is along for the ride! I'm sure you, Scully, would be making much less of the hills than I am and I wish you were here to help me over them!Still, in my absence, please tell Jo to look after Veronica and let's keep in contact!

John F said...

Good to hear that falls and accidents arent dimming your ardour (or whatever)! And I like the long posts, so just walk faster, drink less and make more time for the keyboard (assuming you can still see enough of the screen to know what you are writing! Looking forward to walking with you on 9th & seq - I have managed to order a rucksack to pick up in Abergavenny - tho if that doesnt work I may well be humping carrier bags!

Kevin said...

John, I don't think it makes much difference whether I can see the screen or not! The drivel is the same! I'm delighted you have managed to acquire a backpack. I seem to remember you asking me for a recommendation. It's on my to-do list, but perhaps I may be a bit late? If your backpack doesn't show up, you can always carry mine!