Friday 13 May 2011

LEJOG Day 31: Hay-on-Wye to Kington

 Weather: Cloudy with cool northerly breeze
 Distance covered today: 24.9km (15.3mi)
 Last night's B&B: The Seven Seas (£55)
 Cumulative distance: 590.9km (366.6mi)/ % Complete: 33.6%
 GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 31 (click!)


Alone again!  It is a strange feeling after almost a week of interaction with family and close friends. At first, I was a bit thrown by the feel of it. I had become very accustomed to my own company on the early part of the journey, but I have so much enjoyed interacting this past week that I felt strangely bereft this afternoon, especially as Julian was always intending to join me for only half of today’s walk. So, suddenly, in the middle of the walk, silence….

It felt so strange that I decided I had to listen to a podcast on my mobile for company as I trudged up the steep hill to the Hergest Ridge. Once there, I found other things to worry about. Over the last day or so, I have gradually felt an increasing pain on the front of my shin, which I fear can only be a shin-splint. It is an injury I have been dreading because I know that it is rarely one that can just be ignored. Resting the affected limb is the treatment of choice and Veronica confirmed this to me on the phone this afternoon. The problem is that my schedule doesn’t allow for resting and at this stage a change to the schedule could compromise the whole project.

I will rest tonight and stagger through to Knighton tomorrow, hopefully after buying some anti-inflammatory ointment here. If I make it I will have a rest day the following day and see how things progress. In the meantime, I will favour it, but basically try to ignore it!  We’ll see what happens. In the meantime more important things need to be discussed.

The contrast from walking with John to walking with Julian was very interesting! Both gentlemen were very sensitive to the beauty of the environment, and who wouldn’t be, but their approaches were subtly different.

John’s approach is essentially intellectual. He lives in a world of ideas and although he talks about feelings and “being”, and although he is enormously sensitive to his surroundings, it is clear that he has a need to rationalise it all.  Julian on the other hand has a fundamentally artistic relationship with his surroundings. He is extraordinarily knowledgeable about it and throughout our walk, he was a mine of information on plants and insects, but his appreciation is essentially aesthetic. He too is incredibly sensitive to his environment. He will spot a butterfly almost before it is visible. Both men take far more trouble with their photos than I do and have advanced knowledge of their equipment. I just point and shoot.

Living in Wales, Julian has applied his scientific and aesthetic talents to the understanding of his environment in a unique way. He and Fiona have a webisite which encapsulates the essence of their appreciation of the unique circumstances of their life-style in a long cottage in Wales. And Julian has produced an amazing film, "Epiphany in Translation" which is an artistic triumph, so much so that it has been entered in the Swansea Bay Film Festival and will premiere on 14th May 2011. As much as it celebrates Julian's view of his unique and precious environment, it also encompasses an understanding of synchronicity which strangely aligns it with John's belief syetems. Click here to have a look at Julian and Fiona's amazing site.

But the contrast in their approach also has a consequence which I hadn’t thought about before. Julian is a fundamentalist conservative when it comes to nature. He bemoans the effect of industrialisation and over-population on the fragile environment, and sees threats at every turn. The loss of any species is a disaster for the whole, and the effects on the integrated eco-system are both incalculable and immensely concerning. John on the other hand has a belief that the system will continue to evolve. Not only is the Earth much more resilient than people think it might be, but even if it is forced to change to accommodate man-made changes, these evolutionary changes are no greater than have occurred in the past and continual scientific and technological advances will ensure that mankind remains in control of, or at least can adapt to his mankind-affected environment.

I know better than to take a position on either of these interesting world views. I would of course have loved to hear the two of them discussing these things together. As is the nature of reasonable people, they may have found common cause in many areas, but it does seem to me that in the essence of their intelligent world-views there is a mutually exclusive disagreement, which is both irreconcilable and fundamentally important.

From now on, I wouldn’t be surprised if I find that their voices are added to those of General Freyberg and Father Johnson as I make my way through this simply stunning landscape.
Julian, as usual, contorting his face for the photo!

Moody Black Mountains. The rain held off though!

The River Wye near Hay

Julian tells me this is a Wall Brown; not very common, so a good find

Julian pacing out an ancient oak. He reckons it is 500 years old and may well be in the Register

Filial affection!

As I move North, so this amazing light show moves with me!

For Julian: a bumblebee at work!

The landscape alight!

The Welsh County of Powys runs along much of the border. However, many of the signs said we were in Radnorshire. It seems this was one of the historic Counties of Wales, until someone came along and changed them all. Clearly, the Welsh are just as devious as the English!

Easy walking along the top of the Hergest Ridge

A new-born foal and its mother between the Monkey Puzzle trees, with Kington in the background

4 comments:

richardo said...

Now that your flesh and blood companions have left, I feel that you again need your cyber buddies to keep you company... I am thinking of adopting a cyber alter-ego - Yabba...
There is an old adage -- better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt! however I am already outed after I rashly challenged the garden impressionists on a matter of English flower identification!!
Kevin - I am totally impressed by your progress -- 25km a day, day after day!! This is a tremendous speed and you must be very fit, with well muscled calves to achieve this sort of pace. My only fear is that as you near JOG, you should slow down in case you overshoot and end up in the Arctic sea, a chilly and unpleasant experience. In addition you have revealed what a pleasure and privilege it is to be able to walk across a country.... wonderful. I notice from the satellite image more wild and wooly uninhabited terrain lies ahead and to the west..
I most sincerely hope that your split shin or shin-splint injury is not severe and that you will continue your northerly gallop. It is not an injury that us more sedentary folk are familiar with..
As for the debate on limits to growth, I do side more with Julian... 9 million large mammals, self styled homo sapiens, all living on a finite planet.. and each one with an unquenchable desire for hot and cold running water, electricity, an automobile (or two) and a flat screen TV ... it just doesn't add up in the long run.

Anonymous said...

KTB,
So enjoyed the walk, and your record of it. Absolutely stunning photo of the foal and Monkey Puzzles. But were they growing on top of Hergest Ridge? If so I wondered who'd have planted them up there? You might be interested that the lovely Oak which you photographed which I paced at 29 feet circumference would certainly have been around for the Civil War, as we'd speculated.Apparently in Ireland at Birr castle an Oak with a girth of 6.5 metres is over 400 years old. Couldn't easily find anything about this Herefordshire one, but I bet it's recorded somewhere, being such a superb tree.How many folk will have paused for reflection and to enjoy the view over the centuries?
Incidentally I'm not quite sure that I hold such a polar opposite to John's reported global view. I too agree that the world and nature is very resilient,and will evolve, but my fear is that the human involvement in its subsequent history may be the bit that suffers with the disconnect from the natural environment that is now so widespread in urban societies. I'm not so sure that technological fixes will resolve the big issues looming,(in time!)Well done, you're over a third of the way!
BW GH

Kevin said...

Richard, Good to have you back for company and for your encouraging thoughts. Especially given tomorrow's stint! I look forward to John responding to your view!

Kevin said...

Julian, Great to have you along! Do I detect a certain convergence on the issue? I await John's response!