Sunday 22 May 2011

LEJOG Day 39: Whitchurch to Audlem

 Weather: Partly cloudy with howling westerly
 Distance covered today: 16.8km (10.4mi)
 Last night's B&B: Sedgeford House (£40)
 Cumulative distance: 756.3km (469.9mi)/ % Complete: 43.0%
 GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 39 (click!)

Yesterday, I met my first LEJOGer, admittedly one of the more numerous and sensible variety who do the trip on two wheels. I was skulking in my room on my rest day, when I heard someone come to the door downstairs and ask to stay. There followed what seemed to be a very long and muffled conversation, which surprised me because my host, Dave, had told me that he was completely full for the night. Anyway, I was minding my own business, attending to my admin, until supper time, when I went downstairs and met Dave still talking to Vicki and Richard. Richard was introduced as the cyclist doing LEJOG.

It turned out that Richard is doing some prodigious distance on a daily basis and is camping as required. Vicki, though has taken some days off to support him and sensibly prefers to stay in a B&B, but none have been organised and Whitchurch was literally full. The conversation I didn’t overhear was poor Vicki finally bursting into tears at her inability to find somewhere to stay. She clearly melted Dave’s heart, who somehow managed to conjure a solution, so that when a tired Richard arrived, all was arranged. Richard, Vicki and I decided to go to the pub together for supper.

Vicki is a highly qualified nursing sister with a particular qualification in looking after neonatal and premature babies and associated midwifery. She is on an expert team that speeds to the site of a problem and can perform extraordinary feats, away from hospital. Richard is a policeman, but he has decided to take a year off work to do something different, of which his cycling LEJOG is the first of his projects. They both live in Yorkshire very close to the Pennine Way, and we have exchanged contact details so that I can meet them as I pass their home in the next couple of weeks.

I had an immensely enjoyable evening with both of them and found them to be a delightful young couple. We talked of many things including assisted suicide for terminally ill patients and I found their views pragmatic and refreshing. Like so many young people of their age, I sense that they are still trying to find their true identities and role in life.  They must have found it strange to be talking to a retired stranger over dinner who was at least double their age, but such is the nature of this adventure that it didn’t seem to matter. In the end though, I doubt that I endeared myself to Richard by instructing him to enjoy the rest of the year off and then to make an honest woman of Vicki! (I was just pleased that neither of my daughters was around for that exchange! After they had died of embarrassment, they would have happily murdered me, policeman or no policeman!)

Talking to Vicki and Richard with their clear Yorkshire accents made me think about the changes of accents I have heard over the length of the journey so far. I have always taken an interest in accents in England, and while I am no Professor Higgins, I have become reasonable at distinguishing the more marked variations. Strangely, I find this easier when confronted with an accent which is distinctly different to the prevailing accents where I happen to be.  But the point about this journey is that accents have changed by degrees as I have progressed. I find it fascinating, and of course obvious, that there is no distinct border where the accents change. There is just a gradual migration as I move along, until I realise that the change is complete. This subtly progressive change is in itself interesting, because it is of course difficult to place the people on the border of the change. And it follows naturally, that when I question them, they say, rather proudly, that people always struggle to identify where they come from!  It seems that it is a cultural asset not to be too specifically identified with a precise location, though I guess that this is not true of a regional identity. So people are proud to be, for instance, Cornish or Welsh, but less so if one is able to pin them down more specifically in the manner of Prof. Higgins. It is also interesting that the accent change over the Welsh border is indeed more sudden, though even here, I met locals who had a delightful blend of Welsh and English accents that would have been hard for outsiders to identify.

In fact, it seems that once upon a time, it was in England considered a matter of education that people couldn’t tell which County one came from; hence the public school focus on Received Pronunciation (RP). That has changed with a vengeance, especially in the BBC, where regional accents are now considered a distinct asset.  Even that is fascinating to me because I am now in the fifth TV region of my journey (BBC Spotlight [Cornwall and Devon], BBC Points West [Somerset, Bristol and Herefordshire], BBC Wales, BBC Midlands and BBC North West) and every time I listen to a local news and weather broadcast, I get a quick primer in the local accent.

As I now move northeast, I am again in a transitional location, with elements of Shropshire and Cheshire in the locals’ speech. Soon I expect to hear a distinct Mancunian accent emerging. All this will I hope continue to keep me interested, because the landscape will be less so.

Today’s leg was uneventful over fairly flat farmland, gradually migrating eastwards. I am not ecstatic about my route choices over the legs towards the Pennine Way. I did the selection when I was already walking LEJOG and therefore didn’t have to hand the OS maps that would have allowed the detailed planning I did for the South West. I was therefore reliant on dodgy internet connections and, when I could get it, Google Maps, to plot my course and find B&Bs. (I find that Google Maps won’t load on a 3G mobile dongle connection, which can be immensely frustrating).

The result is that the length and direction of some of these legs will be a bit random, but for me at least, and as with the accents, it adds a degree of mystery!

Vicki and Richard

The first shorn sheep of my season! She looks a bit forlorn!

England or Africa?


Definitely England!  All three of them were out tending to the garden, before going down to the pub for Sunday Lunch (and making me feel guilty about leaving all the gardening to Veronica!)

Also definitely England! A Maxda MX-5 Supporters Club out for a rally. There must have been 20 of them, all almost identical, in a long orderly file!

Eight locks in a row on the shropshire Union Canal. They drop the water height about 40m (131 ft) in a distance of less than 2km (1.2mi)

The attractive and traditional village of Audlem

Once upon a time, the village Constable would have lived here, as befitted his status. I guess Richard the policeman would approve!

And still today, there is a place for the Scouts and Guides (though I heard recently on the radio that more girls are applying to join the Scouts than the Guides. What is that all about?)

13 comments:

richardo said...

if a constable were to live in such a house today, one would suspect that he was on the take... this would be no surprise, especially in Zimbabwe where the police are reputed to be the most corrupt in SADC. In the 1980's I once went to the Police golf club (I feel constrained to say here that I was friendly with a magistrate, not a policeman) and every single car in the car park was a Mercedes... there cannot be too many societies in the world where police power does not translate into at least a little corruption ...
How much does a howling westerly wind impact of the walking?

richardo said...

I have been looking at the total map of the LEJOG -- and i can see that once you pass Leeds and Preston, then the journey becomes far less populated, rural, more mountainous and no doubt colder. I suspect that this will be a rather different journey - wild and beautiful and lonely. A visit to the inner soul of a nation and no doubt to the inner soul of a Kevin.
Of course as an armchair follower, it is easy to zoom out and say - look see. But as the walker, I suspect that a day by day approach is what makes it all worthwhile.. the joy of the daily journey.

Kevin said...

Richard, yesterday the wind was merely howling. Today, from the forecast, it will be maniacal! It does indeed tug on my pack and try to twist me. Yesterday, it blew me along because it was from behind, but today it will be coming from the Port Quarter, so I will bend and twist!

Kevin said...

Richard, I suspect all of those things will be true.... Perhaps though, as high summer approaches, the weather may be a bit warmer? I have though read of others who have found it difficult walking through those wide open spaces, day after day. I will be interested to see how it affects me....

Marion said...

testing testing... i may have caught up with the 21st century (and my job) and figured out how to post a comment on a blog...

Marion said...

ps. well done dad

Veronica said...

I hope you still have a 'summer' when you are up on the Penines - the English summer has a habit of happening at the wrong place for the wrong time! I trust you will have good visibility even if it's wet!!!
The 'multilocks' are a good cardiac workout as one moves from emptying to filling and on again in very quick succession. Did you have time to stand a while and watch - or even help??!

Barbara Holtmann said...

Now here's the thing, Kev - aside from yours and mine I can count without the aid of a calculator the number of marriages that have stood the test of time. So the "making of an honest woman" bit feels both strangely anachronistic and not necessarily a good think for this charming young woman? As to the scouts and guides well, why would they even exist as separate entities any more? If I were to want to join such an organisation (extremely unlikely i admit) I would assume as a girl that the only reason to have a boys one and a girls one would be if the boys one were more fun.

Kevin said...

Marion, That's my girl! I'm most impressed! Learning on the job!!

Kevin said...

A compliment from a daughter! Makes it all worthwhile!

Kevin said...

Veronica, no I didn't! I was very happy to leave it to the boat crews. After all, they weren't offering to carry my back-pack!! Still, I look forward to a canal holiday sometime!

Kevin said...

Barbara, Now that is an interesting observation, though I have to admit that my experience over here is rather more optimistic. I would say that most of the marriages have survived, whereas the informal partnerships generally have not. Either way, I think that that the man holds more advantages in terms of choices later in life and therefore carries greater responsibilities and I think he should declare his intentions more specifically. It is no guarantee, but he should know that he cannot take someone else's life lightly. I do now understand that...

Kevin said...

A contribution by email from my good friend Chris:
"I really must get myself organised so that I can comment on your Blog...

Your story about Vicki and Richard reminded me so much of the couple (they were married!), who lived next door to us when we had our first house in Chester... he too was a Policeman, she too was a Nursing Sister, who did alternate weeks of nights as the Senior Casualty Sister at the Chester Royal Infirmary. Of course, these days, Casualty has become Accident and Emergency, and the Chester Royal Infirmary has been demolished and the site is now apartments...

They had met originally, as we were somewhat sheepishly told when we got to know them a bit better, when Derek had been bitten on the backside by a police dog in a bit of a mêlée when they were trying to apprehend a guy who had been driving up the M6 and M62 at about 140 miles an hour. Derek's mates had lugged him off to Casualty to be patched up... the local Constabulary being well known at Casualty, partly because they had to take some of their customers there, and partly because it was a source of tea and company in the middle of the night. So Christine said that her first 'date' with Derek was to clean up the tooth marks, and expose his backside so that she could give him a tetanus jab...

As a couple, they were full of wonderful stories about the local goings on, as one or other of them, often both, usually had been involved in most of the happenings that made it into the local rag... so we got the inside track...

Christine is the source of that other story that involves bear backsides and tetanus jabs (she must have had a thing about them), this one has to be told in that wonderful North West Cheshire, quasi Scouse, accent, so I will save it for you (I've probably told you already). It's the one about the difference between a penis and a winkie..."