Saturday 4 June 2011

LEGOG Day 49: Earby to Malham

Sunny and very hot with fresh north easterly
 Distance covered today: 19.7km (12.2mi)
 Last night's B&B: Grange Fell (£25)
 Cumulative distance: 959.8km (596.5mi)/ % Complete: 50.2%
 GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 49 (click!)

One of the criticisms of the Pennine Way is that it is not varied enough. That has not been my experience so far! Yesterday’s leg was as attractive as it was unexpected. After a lovely stretch of woodland along a disused railway line from Earby back to the Way at Thornton-in-Craven, I soon found myself on the Liverpool and Leeds Canal and then after a lunch in the lovely little town of Gargrave, I spent almost the entire afternoon walking alongside the delightful River Aire in, appropriately enough, Airedale.

The two extremes of the walk were just as interesting. Earby (pronounced Ear-bee!) and its associated town of Barnoldswick are industrial towns rooted in the mills of industrialising Britain, complete with ruined mill buildings and row after row of terraced houses. Employment is the big problem, though there is a major Rolls Royce facility that makes components for jet engines in the latter. Malham, on the other hand couldn’t be more different. It is the ultimate tourist village, a jumping off point for numerous walks into the Yorkshire Dales, full of B&Bs, pubs and thousands of weekenders. So full in fact that they have had to convert a field outside the village into a vast parking lot just to accommodate the cars of all the visitors. Us long-distance walkers tend to be just a teeny-weeny bit snooty about the day-trippers, as I found out in the pub last evening, where I bumped into and dined with Carmen and Gilles! 

After all, we have the scars to prove it!  It is very fortunate that today is a rest day, because my feet are, once again, killing me!  This time, it is the new boots. I thought I’d walked them in sufficiently before leaving home, but I hadn’t done successive days of walking. Perhaps also they shrunk a bit after the excessive wetting on the first day of the Pennines. Whatever the cause, I’m back to the way I felt soon after the start of the journey, way back in Cornwall, with my toes strapped up in acres of “Compeed” blister plasters and me hobbling along like an old man (alright then, an older man!). I bought myself a new pair of socks as a last desperate attempt to put a barrier between my poor sore toes and my boots, but without much hope. I’ll just have to grin and bear it, and like last time, it will sort itself out in time. Meanwhile, I’ll think about other things.

Like, for instance, this horrifying accident in Pembrokeshire where four people were killed in an explosion at the Chevron oil refinery. I find it interesting that the media are not more incensed about it than they are, especially after the BP catastrophes at their Texas City refinery (where 15 people died) and of course the Gulf spill. Perhaps the response will escalate as the cause becomes clearer. Apart from feeling real sympathy for the families involved, I also feel a twinge of sympathy for the Chevron management as they try to understand the causes of the accident, discipline anyone responsible and change systems to prevent recurrence.

Partly this is because I have form here. Once upon a time, I had just been promoted to the position of GM of my company’s operations in Portugal. I had been in the country barely two weeks, when there was a horrific accident at our LPG site near Lisbon. A pallet of LPG cylinders slid off a fork-lift truck onto a truck driver standing next to his truck, which was being loaded at the time. The driver was killed instantly. We immediately commissioned a detailed enquiry and for two weeks, all other business became just incidental. The study found that though the driver had been properly trained in the relevant procedures, and was supposed to vacate the area, he did not do so on this occasion. There was supposed to be a check on compliance, but the supervisor had been distracted by a phone-call. The fork-lift truck driver was also supposed to ensure that there was no-one around, but he couldn’t see the ill-fated driver from his position. In a nutshell, we found that the cause of the accident was a failure to follow procedures, but the root cause was that among the contractors who worked for our company as third parties, there was a certain cynicism about the strictness of our procedures which were felt to be unrealistic.

Anyway, I was summoned to the international head-quarters in The Netherlands, to report to the Chief Executive of the global company on the incident, as was standard procedure after any fatality. Sitting in the plane, I felt a slight sense of unreality. Of course, I took full responsibility for the incident, but I had only been in the country for two weeks and had not yet even had time to visit the LPG installation, let alone get involved in its safety processes. I didn’t know what to expect.

Before seeing the CEO, I had an interview with his henchman, one Phil Watts, who later became CEO himself and much later left in unedifying circumstances. Phil didn’t sit me down. He looked up from his papers and yelled at me. He called me a murderer! He asked me why I hadn’t already offered my resignation? I remember the rush of adrenalin. I remember the blood draining away from my head. I remember searching for words that wouldn’t come, and I remember him interrupting me in every sentence to say something wounding and abusive. I wasn’t expecting such a personal attack. I was outraged and furious, and I didn’t know whether to defend myself and open myself to further attacks, or just take it on the chin as the person responsible. I remember wanting to ask him as my direct line superior why he felt less responsible than I did, but I didn’t have the courage, or I didn’t think about it in time. He kicked me unceremoniously out of his office. I thought to myself, if it was like that with him, what on earth was the CEO going to say?

It was of course a case of “good cop, bad cop”. The CEO was the essence of polite concern. He was interested in me and congratulated me on getting the position at a comparatively young age. We spoke about the weight of responsibility and how best to communicate it. He also spoke at length about safety culture and I lifted an eyebrow when he became almost racist about the attitudes to safety of southern Europeans and the need to invest that much more in “hearts and minds”. We had a cup of tea. With no further ado, I was on the plane back to Lisbon.

I often think about the family of that dead contractor, and I think about him every time I hear about an industrial accident. Did my behaviour change as a result of Phil’s handling of the situation? Certainly, I knew that another accident would end my career, so I suppose it did change, a bit anyway. But I still haven’t fully resolved what I think about it, almost two decades later.

All accidents are preventable, but at what cost? And is risk-free life really an attractive option? Yet where my own family is concerned, any risk at all seems unacceptable.

The disused rail line to Thornton


A "double bridge" on the Liverpool and Leeds Canal, built to straighten the road to accommodate higer speed and heavier traffic

A lovely farmhouse near Thornton. One could live happily in a place like this. The view is magnificent

These gentlemen are ever curious, but they are much warier of me now with my new walking poles!

Sometimes the Pennine Way is even less visible than in this picture, especially over newly mown or ploughed fields. I have to be vigilant all the time!

The Way meets the River Aire. Magic!!

Day trippers at the pub in Malham. The streets were groaning with them!


For respite, I again took to the hills for some atmospheric photography in the sunset

Helped by this curious youngster!

The hills above Malham

11 comments:

Karen said...

Well doen Kevin! Half way! It seems like an age since we first met you in Cornwall and then caught up again in Somerset! So much seems to have happened in that time, and there you are - still walking!
We follow you avidly, in fact next week while I'm in a remote place on the Quantocks with 60 children (!), I shall miss catching up with you. Charlotte and I are building up a long list of the places you have shown us that we want to visit. And now I know why we still holiday in the UK, there really is so much still to do.

I thought your comment about risk was interesting. I am just writing that chapter of my book, do children get enough risky play? In my eyes definitly not, so are we nuturing a generation of youngsters who don't know about calculated risk, who go on to take ridiculous chances with their own lives. Does that mean they become adults who have no respect for safety rules? I don't know.

I think your very ordinary response when we asked what you had retired from - 'I worked in the oil industry' was an understantement wasn't it? I sense perhaps you were being rather modest!

enjoy your walking and best wishes from all of us.
Karen and Stuart

Kevin said...

This comment is from Jannie and relates to the conversation about rehabilitation of ex-cons in Day 47 "I was of course fascinated by your discussions with David, the ex-con. It underlines for me the universal nature of the problems they face on the outside – also how easy it is to be judgmental in these circumstances – there but for the grace of God… From my experience in prison I am continually amazed by the fine qualities, sensitivity and potential one recognises in inmates who one discovers have committed serious crimes. David took responsibility for his crime, but it’s very hard when one’s identity for the rest of one’s life is scarred by the ex con label. No wonder rehabilitation is so hard."

Chris R said...

Barnoldswick gives its initial to Rolls-Royce engines, as in the Rolls Barnoldswick or RB 211, the big fan engine that was developed originally for the Lockheed TriStar, and which has gone on through various developments and additional compressor and turbine stages to become the Trent, as used in the WhaleBus 380, etc., and the RB 199, the engine used in the Tornado aircraft... originally the Multi Role Combat Aircraft, MRCA... or Mother Riley's Cardboard Aeroplane, as it was known in the Royal Air Force about the time that I was at Uni...

The story is that, in the late 1930s, Frank Whittle formed Power Jets, based at Lutterworth, but when the manufacture of engines got to a production stage, the engineering came from Rover (as in Rover cars), and was put in Barnoldswick to keep it out of the way; I think that the Government did not want to distract any of the aircraft engine companies from wartime production. In the end, Rover were not up to the engineering challenge of building reliable gas turbines, and Rolls-Royce took over the manufacturing and development... and the rest is history...

Much later, Rover built a number of gas turbine cars; I remember an ‘Auntie’ Rover (P2, was it? That very Rover bulbous shape), and then there was one that 'competed' in the 24 Hours Le Mans race in the 1960s... of course, being a French Race, it was not allowed to compete, but it ran the full 24 hours, and would have come about eighth, I think.

These days, Barnoldswick is making the wide chord fan blades for the current generation of engines; those big windmill things at the front that one sometimes see as one is boarding. Those are such amazing bits of kit, do you realise that the fan of a Trent pulls in about 2750 lbs of air a second... so that's about 1¼ tons of air a second... or just over 1000m³ a second... so think of a box, 10m long, 10 m wide and 10 m high... how big is your garage??? ... and then think of that amount of air... and then think of all that air going down the intake every second... unglaublich.

Hope the feet are feeling the benefit of the day off... good luck when you demand their activity on the morrow!

Chris

Kevin said...

Hi Karen, Many thanks for your kind comments. I do agree though that the diversity and beauty, as well as the culture and history, of this country is just endlessly fascinating! Good luck with the 60kids! A brave undertaking!!

richardo said...

The hills above Malham; the River Aire and the Pennine Way - all in glorious sunshine. Seems like, apart from blistered feet, LeJog is LeFun... I see some more serious hills ahead... looks like sandstone... I shall be interested to see the route you take -- without a backpack, and aided by poles.

Chris R said...

Very impressed to see that the Beck Hall web site is multi-lingual... not only the obvious French and German, but also Dutch... and Mandarin...

I hope that they also provided simultaneous translation from Broad Yorkshire into Surrey English... a boy might not be able to order a tea cake otherwise... well, I suppose you could just point at the menu...

Chris

richardo said...

my dd, on hearing that you have walked 959.8 km, says "wow- thats a pretty productive mid-life crisis!" the sympathy of the youth!

Veronica said...

'The Constables' make an important comment on the issue of risk. I think that parents have a huge responsibility to their children in this are. If children are not given the opportunity to understand risk, in a controlled sitituation - namely under the watchful eye of their parent(s) then how can they learn to cope with risk as they grow, moving away from the watchful eye, but still under the parents control. Your hair would stand on end, Kevin, if you knew the half of what your own girls got up to on their ponies when neither of us was with them!! And we can still be severely rattled at some of the risks they take today, but at least they have a modicum of education from their childhood. It is very much a non-Darwinian thought to remove all risk from the individual, much as it would also be non-Darwinian to remove experimentation. Doesn't Society exist (amongs other things!) to mitigate that risk, hence Health and Safety, the Law, etc, etc? Surely safety is mostly learned, with the essential ingredients for learning it, absorbed in childhood? I felt aweful for that man's family, aweful, too for you. Bu how much blame can be attached to the world around, if that individual has been taught to respect risk, then given the parameters for a risky situation and still chose to ignore it?

Kevin said...

Richard, This is not a mid-life crisis. I had that years ago.
Veronica, my hair is standing on end! How come I know nothing about it? Risk is for other people's kids!!!
Chris, they served me an excellent tea and scone, right out of the oven in lieu of lunch. I didn't need Mandarin, but Deutsch helped!

Veronica said...

Fantastic photo of 'The hills above Malham', I love the shadows and how they emphasise the walls and the hill-top.

Kevin said...

This message from Barbara "MAZEL TOV on 50% - what an achievement, Go Kev.
Also I wanted to say that the guy who yelled at you and called a murderer should have been fired. It was a violation of your rights. You should have been offered support to get through what was undoubtedly a deeply distressing experience for you, and a constructive process to check the protocols and if or how they could be improved. I am working at the moment with out police, who are trying to find a way to reduce deaths of police and suicides and family members in the force. The guy should put himself in their shoes for a moment, maybe he would learn some empathy. (P.S. I can't get to respond on the blogger any more for some reason. feel guilty about that instead!!!)"