Monday 6 June 2011

LEJOG Day 51: Horton-in-Ribblesdale to Hardraw

 Weather: Partly sunny and warm with cool westerly
 Distance covered today: 25.2km (15.7mi)
 Last night's B&B: Golden Lion (£40)
 Cumulative distance: 1006.0km (625.1mi)/ % Complete: 52.6%
 GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 51 (click!)

What an extraordinary day! It started badly, in that undoubtedly The Golden Lion Hotel in Horton is the worst B&B I have come across so far. The room was OK, but that was all. Supper was inedible, I had to make my own breakfast (not that I minded after the previous evening) because I was leaving “early” (breakfast at 08h00!! How can that be early?), and worst of all, especially for me (!), they refused to let me have the wifi code last evening!!  Of course, I created a fuss, but I was told rather firmly not to upset the proprietor who was nowhere in evidence, as he would probably kick me out. As it happened, I never did see him or his wife, and in the end I managed to hitch a ride on the wifi signal of some neighbour who has not secured their internet connection!  At least the blog was served! And one benefit of making my own breakfast was that I also made myself a packed lunch for today’s long trip, and left the rather tarnished Lion without a backward glance!

The guidebook warned that today would be different in that the landscape would be “featureless” and you would walk “in the certain knowledge that you are alone”. Indeed, along the way, I did pass Dismal Hill and at a little woodland along the way, I was told that one of the plants was called “Melancholy Thistle”.  On the way down from the high moors, I would pass ”Rottenstone Hill”.

Well!  I do have high standards in these things, because I have been to many beautiful places, but seldom have I been somewhere as desolately beautiful as today. I didn’t feel lonely for a moment. Despite continuing problems with my blister infested little toes (they are ruined – amputation seems an attractive option, but I can’t get at them. They are too covered in blister plasters!), I was on a high all day. Literally and figuratively!  At one point, I reached 580m (1,900ft) which is as high as I have been on this journey, and the view in all directions was simply stunning. The photographs just can’t do it justice. It’s hard to believe such a wilderness exists in England.

But the book was right that the way would be easy to follow and it didn’t take too much concentration, so I was able to think. Possibly all that big country and the sense of isolation did have its effect on me after all, because I found myself thinking about death. Earlier on the journey, while on a busy road, I came across a dead blackbird, killed by a passing motorist, its body horribly mutilated, with its head strangely unharmed, with glazed eyes and its beak contorted in final anguish. One minute, it was a live blackbird singing its impossibly beautiful song, the next minute, gone. I took its picture, so that at least its death would not be completely pointless, and resolved to make every effort to prevent myself from joining it and all the other roadkill that I have passed over the past couple of months.

And indeed, I have found myself returning to the thoughts brought about by the demise of the blackbird again and again. The question for me is; what do I really think about death? Does it concern me? Should it?

I realise that there are intensely religious connotations in all this and I do apologise to my many religious friends and relatives, but I can’t answer the question without being clearer about my own thoughts on the subject. A long time ago, I rid myself of the Jesuits’ fire, brimstone and retribution ideas as being simply incredible. And although, in his otherwise very interesting book, “The God Delusion”, Richard Dawkins is scathing about agnostics, as being the ultimate fence-sitters, I can’t see how he can be as certain about his atheism as he is, given all that we know and don’t know. I am also fairly sure that our science has only revealed a tiny portion of our universe. I find myself continually wondering where we sit in the scale of things. If we look outwards, how far do the universe and its brothers and sisters stretch? And if we look inwards, are there microscopic universes within? It seems highly unlikely that by chance, we should find ourselves somehow “in the middle” in terms of scale.

But it also seems to me highly unlikely that we are anything other than a highly sophisticated evolutionary product that has learned to think and to alter its environment in a ruthlessly successful adaptation to an impossibly hostile world. If I was a young person now, I would be seriously considering studying the combination of chemistry and electronics that provides the amazing thinking properties of the human mind. It is hard wired with all sorts of innate instincts, and yet it has the capacity to learn and store that learning on its equivalent of the hard drive to end all hard drives. But that is all it is. When the murderous car took out my poor dead blackbird, it was the same as hitting a hard drive with a hammer. All its instincts and all its memories just ceased to exist. And surely, it is just the same with us. All the rest is superstition.

In which case, it makes no sense to be scared of death. Scared of the process of dying, certainly! The pain and the indignity of a protracted exit are much to be feared and few are as fortunate in that respect as my dead blackbird. But not scared of death itself. It is just the end. All that remains is the memory other people have of one and that too will fade in time.

How can I be so certain? I can’t, unlike Richard Dawkins. But on the balance of probabilities and given all the information that I have learned over my six score years, that is what I think.

As I made my way down the high moors back to civilisation in the very attractive little town of Hawes, I passed some evocative and entertaining places, such as Buttertubs Pass, Lovely Seat, Gaudy House and Backsides. After my lonely yet peaceful vigil in the high moors, I almost regretted regaining normality.

My feet, on the other hand, were delighted!

My dead blackbird

Sometimes I sits and looks at nature, and sometimes I just sits

More broken deserted houses on the moors

Dismal Hill

This is Ling Gill, an upland woodland in a narrow limestone gorge. It is home to the Melancholy Thistle

The beck leading to Ling Gill

On top of the moors on a Roman Road!

Looking back at Pen-y-Ghent across the moors

Deserted countryside......

With fantastic vistas in the sunshine

Moorland on all sides

8 comments:

Grumpy Hobbit said...

What wonderful names. It's fascinating how many of our rural areas have such evocative names. At least in Wales (or our part of Wales) they went for more upbeat ones, if somewhat literal......our village, Rhydcymerau, comes to mind, meaning 'the ford at the confluence of the valleys'; and our home, Gelly Gneuen Uchaf, meaning 'the little hazel wood up there'. Given a dead blackbird, Dismal Hill and your melancholy thistle, I'm not surprised your thoughts took such a deathly turn. Mind you, don't you think there has to be something else behind the extraordinary diversity and detail out there in the natural world that science alone can't explain?
Hope the blisters resolve soon, Love F

richardo said...

1000 kms -- !!! makorokoto comrade -- those bruised little toes have carried you a long long way. so an extra congratulations to them too.

yesterday you reached 2119 ft... Malham to Horton -- and went from 745 to 2119 and back to 751 ft..
struggling a bit with the new blogger post a comment format..

Kevin said...

Hi Fiona, I'm sure you have expressed a view that many others will share. The diversity of nature is so stupendous that it is difficult to believe that it could have been produced by chance. But then again, it is possible....

Kevin said...

Thank you Richard, sorry about the new comment procedure, but it seems to be making it easier for others to comment. Blogger is impossible with its comments. If you google the help pages, they are full of people complaining. I now wish I had used Wordpress. Too late now!

richardo said...

In the old post a comment format - there was a spam guard -- a distorted word, which, for once, was easy to read .. most spam guards are so distorted that not even the average intelligence human can read them, let alone a poor computer... I shall miss that since it was the only spam guard that I ever successfully negotiated first time every time!!

I can recommend "the Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins (who else!!) for a rather convincing exposition on how evolution works and how it produces all the wonderful natural diversity...

as for the little blackbird..- I suspect that you will receive quite a few comments on this ...I submit two quotes ... 1) death must be distinguished from dying.. Sydney Smith.. which is part of what you were saying ... and 2. while I thought I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die... Leonardo da Vinci - somewhat obscure and ambivalent in meaning, but tantalizing... the only thing that we do know about death is that we don't know! but I tend to agree with Kevin ... its the end.. bye bye.

Veronica said...

Eh, Barbara. And you thought it would be a rant!

Kevin said...

Jannie made the following comment in response to this post: "Sorry, Kev – I’m lost. I’m a logical person. We know there’s always an intelligent creator behind a hard drive. You speculate we are nothing other than a highly sophisticated evolutionary product that has learned to think. Think? How? How can there not be an intelligent Creator behind what you call the ‘hard drive to end all hard drives’? No matter how it’s dished up, an evolutionary process without an Intelligent Designer behind it is speculating that everything came into existence – all the knife edge order, design and harmony – not to mention life itself, and the joyous song of that fallen blackbird - by a chance rubbing together of atoms. It’s more impossible than asking me to believe that the computer from which I’m writing this, and the internet over which I’ll send it, evolved by chance rather than by many intelligent designers, step by step, discovering and creatively building on the possibilities inherent in our universe."

Grumpy Hobbit said...

KTB,
I have enjoyed these comments, and feel , as you might expect, that I side with Jannie's wonderful piece. I can't square the complexities of the natural world with random chance occurences. There must be other forces at work here which we don't understand( yet/ever?) Life force and evolution, whether at a macro or molecular level seem counter to the all pervading powerful physical force of entropy, the decaying thrust which we see all around us, whether in inanimate structures, or our own bodies. We will all end up as dust...but what then? Prompted by several recent events I definitely warm to the idea of atomic recycling , and hence returning in a different form . Indeed after my recent venture into the anti-establishment world of public protests I mused on the previous famous resident of our tiny hamlet, Rhydcymerau, D.J.Williams, who after firebombing an airforce hut in Anglesey and founding Plaid Cymru, battled with authority for many years. He died after returning to the village and preaching in the tiny chapel, at the age of 80, literaly collapsing in full oratorical flow and was buried there in 1970. Curiously he shared the same initials as I have, though not quite in the same order. Of course its not too fanciful to envisage a physical recycling of the chemical atoms of his body through various lifeforms over the last 40 years which leaves his 'trail and presence' still in reality in the local environment. Where this line of thought leads I have no idea. It probably places me beyond the fringe for your sane fellow blog readers. However, in spite of a serious scientific education some of these questions defy comprehension by a simple hobbit's brain,
BW GH